Monday, February 23, 2015

And the Oscar for Best Dressed goes to...

Last night I got to watch the 87th Academy Awards on my parents HD television. This was brilliant for getting all the details on the gorgeous dresses, and I couldn't wait to share my favorites with you today!

(All photos retrieved from http://oscar.go.com/red-carpet/photos on 2/23/2015)

Now this is a "best dressed" list, so even though I might note some things I'd change, it's not featuring the dresses that I thought were "misses." That's not how I roll - this year, at least!


While I would have given Octavia Spencer (such a cutie!) a different neckline, there's no denying that the draping on her baby blue dress is gorgeous and flattering.


This photograph does not do justice to Lupita's dress of 6000 pearls. Seeing the detail in High Definition was amazing, and easily made this my favorite gown of the night - although I can't imagine it was comfortable to sit in!


My mother thought that Chloe Grace Moretz was not flattering her hips by sticking her hands in her pockets - but I pointed out that she was just demonstrating the cool feature all the gals want in their dresses these days - POCKETS. It's a really lovely dress that flatters her quite well.


Personal taste leads me to wish for a higher neckline or thicker straps on this dress because I think it'd be a bit classier, but the seamstress in me is in awe of the fantastic structuring of the dress.


Rosamund Pike's red lace gown was another top favorite. I love how it has a great silhouette from far away, and then as you get closer you see more and more detailing.


I'm not entirely sure that Scarlett Johansson's dress was the best compliment to her necklace - it probably would have worked a bit better in a shade brighter green or black - but come on, that necklace is amazing!


Okay, so on first viewing, I really liked the peach gown Anna Kendrick's chose. However, when I saw it in action while she was presenting, there was a sad lack of structure over the bodice, and the HD on my television was revealing some more detail than I think was intended. Let's just say, there was no bra under this dress and there really should have been something, which was quite sad because Anna is gorgeous and this dress was really close to working really well for her.


Cate Blanchett went safe with this simple but elegant black dress - however it all just allows the statement necklace to shine, giving her a great Oscar look.


Oprah had one of the best dresses of the night - she literally seemed to glow inside of it! Great color and fantastic detail that didn't take away from the excellent fit and structure to tastefully showcase her curves.


Speaking of curves... I really wanted to like this dress, because that skirt was a cloudy dream of tulle and beads. However that neckline was really more suited to the Globes than the Oscars and distracted from Jennifer Lopez's beautiful smile.

(The gentlemen will have to forgive me for not sharing their ensembles as well, especially since there were some really elegant suits on display.)

So, Lupita wins in my book, with runners up being Rosamund and Oprah. What are you choices? Who did I leave out that you really enjoyed?

No comments: