Thursday, February 6, 2014

Guest Post by Imogen - Red's Cloak

Today we have a guest post by Imogen of SewSmitten, who contacted me for some advice in constructing her own version of Red's Cloak. I thought her version was beautiful, and asked if she would do a guest post for us!

Confessions of a Seamstress was an invaluable resource in figuring out how to make my own replica of Ruby's cloak from Once Upon a Time. She tracked down the original fabrics and helped me to find my own so I could have a wonderful and authentic cloak. The fabric is indescribably beautiful. I couldn't have made this without you, I love it! Thank you so much!


 One of the biggest challenges I faced with this project was the bottom of the cloak. Ruby's cloak has a design which is a combination of different fabrics and such at the bottom. Trying to replicate that design, put the pieces together to achieve the look that I wanted and not lose the shape of the cloak was difficult.


 I was making this one for a wedding so it had to be much longer then usual...Like Confessions of a Seamstress says, the fabric is very heavy. The further it came complete the heavier it became, by the end I was working with 15lbs of fabric!




Thank you so much for sharing your project with us, Imogen! It turned out beautifully!

Incidentally, back in December I also finally made a version of the cloak with the three tiers on the bottom. The results were really cool and I'll be sharing them soon, but they require a lot more labor and if anyone wants this version of the cloak, they will need to be prepared to pay more.

No comments: