Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Katniss Fire Dress Redesign

I knew pretty early on that we weren't going to get an accurate reproduction of the jewel fire interview dress in the "Hunger Games" movie. The top of it made a brief appearance in the early trailers and that was enough to show that there were no jewels studded on the bright red gown. The reason was obvious - sewing on that many jewels by hand would be an intensively laborous task, and the budget apparently couldn't handle it.

I was fairly pleased with their solution - loved the jewel stickers on Katniss's face - but still missed seeing a good rendition of the gown that most captured my imagination in the series. The solution of course was to draw up my own version. I completed the sketch back in November, but due to loosing my tablet pen, was unable to color it until today.

It was well worth the wait, don't you think?


The Girl on Fire by ~Elenatintil on deviantART

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like it :)

Anonymous said...

Your design is beautiful! But I don't think it would've hurt to sew maybe dozen or more large, impressive rhinestones onto the gown which match or are close to the description of the gems in the book. But I was impressed with the fake flames, so that kinda makes up for it. How about you, Elena?