Saturday, June 9, 2012

"Princess Mary" Dress Part I


No rest for a busy seamstress, and next up is a gorgeous Tudor-inspired dress we've dubbed the "Mary" dress.


The poofy skirt requires a net petticoat to fluff out the skirts, so a bit of lining and a lot of gathers later I have the petticoat assembled.




but the netting can't show, so I do more gathering and ruffling (it gets old fast) and make a false underskirt out of a gorgeous embellished cotton.


Real Tudor sleeves would be longer and cut on a rather different pattern. However they would also take up a lot of fabric and be pretty impractical for little girls to play around in. So I use three triangular shapes to create an almost full circle, and french seam the insides since I'm not lining them.




Read Part II!

No comments: